Elections for Chair, Vice-Chair, and the seven Operating Committee positions will be held during January
2018 for positions to be filled in February 2018. Attend the DIERS October 2017 meeting for a discussion
for the position duties. Self-nominations and slating for the positions will occur during the meeting.
Chair and Vice Chair
The Chair of DIERS shall provide overall leadership of the activities of DIERS and will also chair the
Operating Committee. The Chair shall have responsibility for issuing technical meeting announcements and
the Vice Chair shall have responsibility for issuing technical meeting minutes. The Chair shall report
directly to the Managing Board.
The Chair and Vice Chair, who shall be Senior Members or Fellows of AIChE and have broad recognition among
AIChE members in two-phase relief system design, shall be elected by DIERS membership for a 3-year term,
and approved by the President of AIChE in concert with the AIChE Executive Director. The Chair may be
elected to a maximum of three consecutive 3-year terms.
The Operating Committee shall organize and lead the overall activities of DIERS under leadership of the DIERS Chair.
These activities should be determined through an annual planning process, with budgets approved by the Managing Board.
The Operating Committee shall be comprised of no fewer than seven committee members and not more than eleven, including:
- Past Chair, who assumes office upon completing term as Chair
- Chair, who is elected by the membership
- Vice Chair/Secretary, who is elected by the membership
- DIERS Staff Director, and
- At least three, and up to seven at-large committee members who are members of DIERS.
All members of the Operating Committee shall be Senior Members or Fellows of AIChE, except that up to two DIERS members
who are members in good standing of another national engineering organization of rank equivalent to AIChE Senior Member
or Fellow may be elected as at-large members of the Operating Committee. In the event that a current Chair is re-elected
to a consecutive term, the current Past Chair will remain as Past Chair.
Election of Chair, Vice Chair/Secretary, and at-large Operating Committee members, shall occur every three years.
Election procedures shall follow standard procedure for AIChE Divisions, Forums, and Technical Entities.
DIERS Operating Committee Duties and Responsibilities
- Past Chair>
- Chair - Plan, Lead, Organize, and Control (Accountable)
- Vice-Chair / Secretary - Minutes and Correspondence
- AIChE Staff Director - Duties in DIERS By-laws
- Meeting Arrangements Chair - Venue Selection, Meeting Dates, Meeting Notices, Registration, Attendance, Location, & Hotel Contract / Catering
- Program Chair - Call for / Selection of Speakers, Preparation of Meeting Agenda, and Industrial Visits (during meetings)
- Membership and Resource Chair - Membership Solicitations, Greetings, Computer Access, Website Posting, Maintenance, Library, and DIERS Publications
- Finance Chair - Raise DIERS Funds (Corporate Sponsors / Institution Sponsors / Donations); Prepare, Monitor, and Maintain Budgets
- General Technology Projects Chair - Internal and Non-Funded Projects
- Special Technology Projects Chair - Company and Institutional Funded Projects
- Outreach Chair - Education (e.g., SACHE), Training, External Conference (e.g., CCPS Global Congress) Organization, Recognition, Globalization, and Service Activities